STATEMENT OF PURPOSE AND FUNCTION OF
THE OFFICE OF INSPECTOR GENERAL
The purpose of the Office of Inspector General is to protect and preserve the integrity and good
name of the Disabled American Veterans.
As the Disabled American Veterans depends primarily upon the generosity of the American
public for sources of revenue with which to conduct programs and services for our nation's
disabled veterans, their dependents and survivors, a principal function of the Office of Inspector
General shall be to oversee the solicitation and fund raising activities of the DAV Department, Chapter and subordinate affiliations.
In carrying out its responsibilities, the Office of Inspector General shall:
- Provide all appropriate assistance and counsel to DAV Chapters
and subordinate units with respect to solicitation/fund raising activities;
- Review all fund raising contracts, agreements and negotiations received from
DAV Department, Chapters and subordinate units prior to action by the Department Executive Committee;
- Initiate and maintain accurate records relating to the solicitation and fund raising
activities of all DAV Chapters and subordinate units;
- Initiate and maintain a review system for Chapter and Department financial
- When authorized by the Department Commander or the Department Adjutant, conduct
on-site inspections of books, financial proceedings and all appropriate records
relating to the solicitation and fund raising activities of all DAV Chapters and subordinate units;
- Prevent or cause the cessation of an abuse or misuse of the DAV name, logo or
In addition to the above, the Office of Inspector General shall take or recommend such
appropriate course of action as are deemed necessary to ensure that all DAV Chapters and subordinate units are operating in conformance with the DAV National and Georgia Department Constitution and
Bylaws, Regulations of the National and Georgia Department Executive Committee, and laws and regulations of federal,
state and local jurisdictions.
The office of Inspector General shall perform its responsibilities and functions under the direct
supervision of the Department Commander and the Department Adjutant.